Friday, February 28, 2014

MariaDenmark Wrap Dress

 I tried my first Onion pattern and was not disappointed at all! I made an XS and love the fit and design. The pattern pieces printed on both sides of one sheet of paper. I enjoyed the process of tracing the pattern and then cutting out, adding my seam allowance. I chose an Italian rayon jersey from Mood Fabrics for this dress. Am I glad I did. Gorgeous! This fabric is buttery smooth and drapes like a dream. Perfect for wrap dresses. I didn't take the time to really match up my side seams but with this fabric, I don't think it made a difference.

After reading other reviews about the slight gape in the back neckline, I decided to cut the binding about an inch shorter so it would pull the neckline in around the back of my neck. It worked beautifully.

I was so confused at first about how the ties attached to the binding. But after reading other blogs, reading the directions over and over, trying to envision how this was going to go together, I figured it out and it was so simple! Next wrap dress I make, I will post the steps.

I didn't make any other adjustments other than I shortened it about an inch. That was quite by accident. I had forgotten to add the hem allowance to the back to I ended up cutting the fronts to match. I like the length though. It just hits my knees.

The only problem I ran into was that the ties ended up being way too long on me, so I had to wrap them twice around my waist before tying them. Otherwise they hang down to my knees. I will shorten them next time I make the dress.


 Sorry about the quality of the pictures. This is my first attempt at taking pictures of myself and I used a flash in a pretty dim room.
You can see my side seam here with no matching! I still think it works, what do you think.

Next time maybe a solid color and a little longer for a comfy dress to wear teaching. 

1 comment:

  1. This is gorgeous and so flattering on your beautiful figure! I wouldn't have bothered trying to match the print at the side seams. I think it looks perfectly fine as-is:)

    ReplyDelete